Friday, January 23, 2009

BEST CALAMARES! YUM!!!

I can still remember the best Calamares we ever had. (I promise I'm not being overly dramatic)It was from the HYATT Hotel in La Jolla (San Diego, California). We stayed there for 9 days during our visit to San Diego back in September 2005. We ordered a room service because we were too lazy to go out for lunch. We were impressed by their good service and food. We had a serving of Calamares which by the way was so big it could've fed 4 people. Then there was the Reuben Sandwich with French fries (good for two) and the Chicken Pot Pie Soup (good for two). The food was so simple yet it was so good and irresistible! (My mouth waters just thinking about it. Makes me want to back for some more.) From then on we started looking for a Seafood Restaurant that offers Calamares here in our area but unfortunately nothing so far compares to the one tha HYATT LA JOLLA offered.

So I started cooking my own version since it's always a disappointment for us whenever we ordered one for Appetizer. I'm fibbing If I say it's like what HYATT LA JOLLA offers because its not. It's actually far from it but I got an approval from the hubs and the little one that my recipe tasted good. (Don't you just love them when they say oooh! YUMMY!!! Makes my heart sing)

The recipe is actually very simple. You only need 4 ingredients *SQUID* SALT* PEPPER*
ALL PURPOSE FLOUR* and CANOLA OIL for FRYING

STEPS
> Wash and cut the squid into rings. Pat Dry.
> Season the squid and the all purpose flour with salt and pepper. I just usually eyeball it when putting the salt and pepper.
> Coat the squid with the flour then tap excess flour.
> Fry the squid less than one minute to avoid over cooking. If so it would taste like rubber. (Make sure your oil is hot but not too hot or else the squid will turn too brown before it fully cooks. And avoid over crowding them so as not to decrease the oil temperature dramatically)
> after frying, drain it with a paper towel and then serve immediately.

This is best eaten when its hot. We like it with the Marinara Sauce with a slice of lemon on the side. Pizza Sauce works well too. We happened to discover this when we couldn't find a Marinara Sauce.




I BID YOU GOOD EATING EVERYONE!

No comments: